Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fleed Arsus

Let's Play Mazinger Z!

8 posts in this topic

Recently I got back into emulation thanks to a sudden, overwhelming urge to play Bomberman 64 despite me having no Bomberman 64 cartridge or even my old N64 itself. Looking through my usual ROMsite I remembered reading a while back that Mazinger Z had a couple games released specifically for it: one for the SNES, one as an actual arcade cabinet.

I can't say for sure what the SNES version is like (ask Nimbus), but after playing the arcade one for a while I can say this much: It is a vertical-scrolling shooter. Also, it is awesome, especially as it is made by our good friends

Banpresto.png

To this end, seeing as how this is a place that could use even more Mazinger/shooter love, I've decided to write up my own sort of FAQ/Guided Tour of this game. With pictures!!

Be aware that this is a rather large thread, filesize-wise; through my first run of playing this I've accumulated well over 100 screenshots just for this FAQ alone, totaling almost 4 megs. If you don't feel like waiting around then you won't get most of the funny. As well, this really isn't quite complete: I've only completed one "loop" of the game's supposedly first eight stages, but I'll be trudging through as far as I can over the next several days so that you, the reader, can be informed and amused as much as possible.

ON WITH THE MAKINGS !

- Section 1: OH GOD WHAT DOES THIS DO ~ Basic Playing and Item Recognition

- Section 2: MAZIN GO ~ Know Your Robots

- Section 3: MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR ~ Stages 1 and 2

- Section 4: HIGH SEE ADVENTUARR ~ Stage 3

- Section 5: WELCOME TO TERRAIN LAND ~ Stages 4 and 5

- Section 6: MOVIE TIME! ~ Stages 6 and 7

- Section 7: TIME LOOP SAYS WHAT ~ Stages 8 and... 9?

Edited by Fleed Arsus

SECTION 1: OH GOD WHAT DOES THIS DO ~ Basic Playing and Item Recognition

When you start the game, after seeing the usual RAM/ROM CHECK stuff, a rather-nice-for-1994 shot of Kouji docking the Pilder with Mazinger Z and the title screen, if you sit around for a bit you'll see a sort of "How to play" demo showing what buttons do what. If you're playing this through MAME (like you probably are; if not WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET YOUR CABINET AND WHERE DO YOU LIVE) you can set these buttons to whatever you feel comfortable with.

MazingerZ-DrillMissile.png

- Button 1 is your typical "SHOOT THINGS UNTIL THEY DIE" attack. Holding the button down will rapid-burst a few shots, then begin to charge your attack (explained in a moment); depending on what weapon you choose holding the button down for brief intervals or plain-out keysmashing produces different firing speeds. Experiment.

MazingerZ-KoshiryokuBeam.png

- Holding down Button 1, as said earlier, charges your normal attack. Charging takes about half a second where you stop firing altogether and you still can't fire until you release the button, leaving you vulnerable if you don't think you should unleash the attack yet. These attacks are more than pretty strong, though, and you can charge another shot while the first's attack animation is still going, allowing you to effectively spam charge attacks as long as you want or are able to.

PAAAAANCH.png

- Button 2 is, oddly enough, a melee attack: your mech punches (sorry, no Mazinger Blade or Harken) forward and a small wave will radiate out. At first this attack looks completely useless but it serves one amazingly vital function: it destroys most enemy shots. Seeing as how the game can sometimes full-on Danmaku Mode you, punching is a great way to save your neck. Additionally, you can still punch while charging your standard attack, so if you're feeling brave you can still fight back while charging. Not all shots can be destroyed though, just smaller missiles and the standard purple blobs. Use caution.

MazingerZ-BreastFire.png

- Button 3 is your hissatsu, smartbomb, MAP Attack, whatever you want to call it. Your character performs their signature overly powerful attack and oneshots almost anything that's not a boss, renders you temporarily invincible, and even destroys whatever bullets it touches - ALL OF THEM. You have a limited number of these, though refills aren't that rare.

Notice the top left corner in that last image; under your pilot's portrait is a set of three yellow bars. These are "officially" your lives; lose all three and you explode horribly and have to use a new credit to keep playing, at which time you have effectively reset the game, excepting your place in it (you can just keep slogging through your deaths to beat the game if you so please). Achieving a high enough score will restore one bar. On the plus side, if you lose a bar you become invincible for a short time. This invincibility actually lasts depending on how long you're in danger, so theoretically you can spend a few seconds wading through bullets to destroy whatever is throwing them at you, rather than seeking immediate cover. Keep in mind that it won't stick around forever, so this tactic can just as easily kill you all over again.

Every so often either Aphrodite A or Venus A will pop up; shoot them and they'll give you powerups!

Powerups.png

- These are the weapon powerups, each color giving you a different one of your available three, which you can't switch out until you pick up a different one. Picking up a like-colored one will upgrade all of your weapons by one level (up to four upgrades), making them stronger and possessing a larger attack range. Be aware that picking up a different-color weapon icon from the one you have will not give you the upgrade, so if there's two icons on screen, pick up the one you're using first, then switch. If you reach the maximum weapon level and pick up a same-color icon these will give you 1000 points. Dying and continuing resets all weapons back to their first level, but if you have an upgraded weapon (Level 3 or above), you will drop one or two powerups of the weapon you were using, depending on your upgrade level.

SpeedUp.png

- The tiny Scrander is your speed powerup, allowing you to... well, go faster. There's not much to it. There's an upper limit to the amount of upgrades you can get, and once you hit it these will give you 1000 points. Dying and continuing will reset your speed back to its slowest state, but if you're sufficiently upgraded you will drop one of these to get you back on your feet.

LifeUp.png

- This... this thing I have no idea what it's representing in Mazingerness but GET IT. Aside from getting a ridiculous amount of points, this is the only thing that will restore a hit off your lifebar, and will actually increase it by one bar if you have the full three already. These are exceedingly rare - I think you only get three, maybe four in the course of one run. Continuing after death will reset the bar to three hits.

Hissatsu.png

- This is the Hissatsu/MAP Attack/smartbomb pickup. Why, precisely, it is a bomb and not, say, the Breast Fire fins is beyond me but whatever. Getting one of these will increase your Hissatsu stock by one, and while somewhat uncommon are still plentiful enough to allow you to freely use these attacks when you're in a bind. If you have more than two of these when you die, you've wasted them; continuing resets your stock. On the other hand, if you don't have any, then you get some free ones...

BorotCoin.png

- I don't know what this is really supposed to be either, but I call it the Borot Coin, and these drop occasionally from defeated enemies instead of the Mazinger girls. All these do is give you bonus points at the end of the stage depending on how many you picked up. If you die in the middle of a stage, the tally for these also resets.

That's pretty much it for the basics. Next post, the Mazingers themselves!

SECTION 2: MAZIN GO ~ Know Your Robots

Despite the game being outright titled Mazinger Z, you get to play as either of the three "main" Mazingers: Mazinger Z itself, Great Mazinger, or Grendizer, along with the appropriate pilot for attack yelling purposes.

Select-MazingerZ.png

MAZINGER Z

Kouji's robot is, as generally expected, somewhat middle-of-the-road. It has half-decent speed and its attacks can cause some good damage, as well as having a highly damaging Hissatsu. Additionally, the variety of each weapon makes Mazinger Z the best in raw utility, having something for almost every occasion.

MazingerZ-DrillMissile.png

- Drill Missile: Your noncharged Red weapon, and the one you start with when you begin the game or continue after death. The Drill Missiles will fly straight and are pretty fast, allowing for focused attacks. Upgrading this weapon will increase the amount fired, their power, and spread them out a little bit, giving you the width about two and a half Mazingers to kill things in. This is Kouji's most powerful non-charged weapon when at full strength.

MazingerZ-KoshiryokuBeam.png

- Koshiryoku Beam: The charged Red weapon. Kouji fires three Beams in succession, heavily damaging or destroying whatever is touched. The beams are also constant, so you can move directly into enemies with them. It's a pretty straightforward attack.

MazingerZ-SXKnives.png

- Southern Cross Knives: The little Jet Scrander darts become Mazinger Z's regular Blue attack. These will fire rapidly in a small spread initially, becoming larger and stronger and closing the spread's gaps as they're upgraded. Extremely useful in the beginning stages, but eventually they just can't break through the armor of a lot of later enemies, limiting its use to crowd control.

MazingerZ-RocketPunch.png

- Rocket Punch: A lot of Rocket Punches. This is Mazinger Z's charged Blue weapon, and arguably its most useful in later stages (in contrast to the Southern Cross Knives). The Rocket Punch has limited tracking and will home in on enemies within a certain angle to them, allowing Kouji to escape to safety if he's in trouble. Also unique to the Rocket Punch as opposed to the other Punch weapons is that its shots will continue to travel even after it hits an enemy, making it very useful for both power and quick destruction.

MazingerZ-MissilePunch.png

- Missile Punch: Mazinger Z's Green weapon. Let me put this in simple terms: Missile Punch sucks out loud. There is no excuse for you to be using this weapon. It is essentially the Southern Cross Knives, except its firing pattern oscillates between left and right. It's also extraordinarily weak. The only possible saving grace would be...

MazingerZ-RustHurricane.png

- Rust Hurricane: The charged Green weapon. While still somewhat more useful than Missile Punch, this attack is still terrible. Mazinger Z will fire a single tornado forwards for a short distance, after which it will split into several whirlwinds that glide around the screen in a set pattern. While it has some crowd-control utility and is the only weapon with the (dubious) advantage of being able to attack enemies behind Kouji, it's still not nearly enough to make it worth putting up with the Missile Punch.

MazingerZ-BreastFire.png

- Breast Fire: Mazinger Z's Hissatsu smartbomb MAP, this is basically Koshiryoku Beam on steroids. Initially the attack will start out somewhat small, but as it goes the destruction will spread to almost half the screen. Possibly the strongest Hissatsu of the three Mazingers, and my personal favorite because the show's "melting sound" plays when it's used.

Select-Great.png

GREAT MAZINGER

As much as I want to, I can't sugar-coat this: Great is disturbingly powerful. Its Red attack is by far the most destructive normal attack in the game, and even its Blue is quite focused for maximum impact. However, there's a major issue of its charged attacks, and their complete unwieldiness, as well as Great being about as slow as paint drying, making it a sitting target if you don't have a couple speed ups. Use with care.

GreatMazinger-BreastBurn.png

- Breast Burn: Great Mazinger's uncharged Red attack, and insanely effective. It doesn't have as much spread to it as the other two Mazingers' Reds, but it makes up for that in sheer power. Spamming Breast Burn is a surefire way to destroy something in a few seconds, but the lack of lateral range hurts it quite a bit at times, especially if it's unupgraded, where it won't even be a Great sprite wide.

GreatMazinger-GreatBoomerang.png

- Great Boomerang: The charged Red attack, and pretty much the strongest non-Hissatsu in the game, but suffers from severe accuracy issues; if you don't lead your shots spot-on, there's a very real chance of it doing little damage or missing completely. The Boomerang's raw power comes from the fact that it will hover in place for a moment at the peak of its throw, tearing apart anything that gets into its spin. It will even come back and damage/kill anything in the way there, as well. Do note that the Great Boomerang arcs somewhat to the right when it's thrown, coming to rest dead in front of Great, so if you want maximum damage try to aim your attack accordingly.

GreatMazinger-AtomicPunch.png

- Atomic Punch: Tetsuya's normal Blue attack. The Atomic Punch is the strongest of the three uncharged Blues, but doesn't even come close to the range of the others. As it upgrades the Punches become larger, growing in power and number (for increased spread), but anything directly in front of Great gets off relatively easily. Luckily there are very, very few enemies small enough to take advantage of this.

GreatMazinger-DrillPressurePunch.png

- Drill Pressure Punch: The Big Bang of Blue attacks, Great will let loose a wide-spreading flurry of Punches that will completely wreck larger enemies if used at close range. There's not much strategy to this one: get up close and personal and fire away. There are several gaps enemies can take advantage of if fired from far enough away, though. Additionally, unlike the Rocket Punch, these fists dissipate after they hit something.

GreatMazinger-NavelMissile.png

- Navel Missile: About two thousand percent better than Mazinger Z's stomach missiles, Great Mazinger's uncharged Green attack is still pretty weak compared to the other two colors but is the widest-spreading attack in its arsenal. Unfortunately there are a lot of gaps for enemies to take cover in, requiring aim to be somewhat precise.

GreatMazinger-GreatBooster.png

- Great Booster: This attack causes so much cognitive dissonance for me. It's strange to see an infinite-use Great Booster attack after all this SRW, and even though Tetsuya outright says "GREATO BOOSTA, HASSHA!" I still think it's the Trider Bird Attack. Regardless, this is Great's charged Green weapon, which sends Triderthe Great Booster into and through an enemy. This attack is useful because it's fairly fast, wide (for Great, at least) and runs through enemies, allowing it to strike anything behind what's been already hit, which is incredibly useful considering Great's lack of charged attack range.

GreatMazinger-ThunderBreak.png

- Thunder Break: You'd think this would be the big daddy of Hissatsu attacks in this game, but it's possible that Breast Fire has it beat in damage terms. What the Thunder Break does bring to Great's table, however, is the attack spread it's so sorely lacking. Like all Hissatsus, Thunder Break pierces enemies, so it's possible to cover half the screen in electric death, and it even hits behind Great to a degree. One major problem with this attack however is that enemies can easily hide in the gaps between bolts. A good tactic against large, unmoving bosses would be to get hit then pull off a Thunder Break directly on top of them for maximum damage.

Select-Grendizer.png

GRENDIZER

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HIS NAME IS DUKE FRIED HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, though. Grendizer is pretty much "love it, hate it, or suffer between the two." As far as attack power goes, Grendizer is really weak. However, it's the fastest of the three Mazingers and has insane attack range. Also, I just have to mention this:

Grendizer-SpazerWTF.png

Grendizer deploys in its normal "I am a UFO!" Spazer, but when he actually starts being playable Duke immediately Shoot Ins and summons up Double Spazer. It's sad, awesome and hilarious all at the same time, because I know Duke does it in the show.

Grendizer-SpazerWTF.png

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SPAZER HAHAHAHAHA

Grendizer-HandBeam.png

- Hand Beam/Dizer Beam/Cyclone Beam: Grendizer has so many goddamned Beam attacks I don't know which one this actually is, though I'm assuming it's Hand Beam. This is basically just a somewhat weaker Drill Missile, down to the weapon color.

Grendizer-HanjoryokuStorm.png

- Hanjoryoku Storm: What sets Duke and Kouji apart, in terms of Red weapons. Charging the Hand Beam will produce a spreading wave that covers a pretty large territory. Though weaker and not as large, you can typically consider this a free Breast Fire.

Grendizer-DoubleCutter.png

- Double Cutter: Grendizer's Blue attack is slower-firing than the Southern Cross Knives, but it covers a massive range even at Level 1. Additionally, the Cutters have a small homing tendency, so even if you aren't spot on you will still generally hit anyway. It's pretty weak and has a strange firing rate though.

Grendizer-ScrewCrusherPunch.png

- Screw Crusher Punch: Oh my God. Even though this is apparently weaker than Drill Pressure Punch, the amazing spread this thing has more than makes up for it. There are very few gaps to take advantage of here, and it is essentially the ultimate crowd control tool in Mazinger Z. Too bad it's a charged attack, though.

Grendizer-DizerMissile.png

- Dizer Missile: I think this is actually supposed to be Spin Drill, but the Double Spazer can't use that attack. So, Hand Beam missiles it is. This, in my opinion, is Grendizer's best weapon. It is really quite powerful for a Green, and has the best attack range in the game, even to the point where it will reach behind Grendizer when fully upgraded. Think of it as a ghetto Thunder Break.

Grendizer-DoubleHarken.png

- Double Harken: The charged Green for Grendizer is... quite honestly not that great, considering the regular version. Grendizer throws a massive Double Harken diagonally upwards and to the left, where it will bounce around the screen and damage whatever it hits. From what I've seen it's the weakest of Grendizer's charged attacks, but it can literally hit everywhere on the screen and sticks around for a long time, to the point where you can have a second Double Harken thrown before the first one disappears. A viable alternative to Grendizer's Hissatsu.

Grendizer-SpaceThunder.png THIS IS NOT SPACE THUNDER. WHAT THE HELL.

- (seriously, not) Space Thunder: Grendizer's crazy Hissatsu. One beam forward, two to the side, which sweep up and down to attack everything on screen, except what's directly behind Grendizer itself. Not nearly as strong as Breast Fire or Thunder Break, but it is the ultimate screenclearer.

So there are the three robots you get to use in this game. Each one has their own strengths, weaknesses and situational utility, but with enough practice you should clear the game with just one of them. Probably.

Next post is Guided Tour Pictures Post !!

Edited by Fleed Arsus

SECTION 3: MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR ~ Stages 1 and 2

And now...

PICTURES

TitleSplash.png

If you hadn't noticed from the previous post, for some reason this game is ENTIRELY IN ENGLISH. I don't know why, but it makes me want to look for a physical cabinet all the more.

Select-Great.png

Bash bash bash insert credit annnnnnnnnnnnd let's start with Great.

This particular run was made pretty much entirely for this Guided Tour, so I will apparently be terrible. In the interest of screenshots, I will die in this. A lot. I push forward in the name of science. I push forward for you.

mazi0035.png

The game starts off in the middle of Tokyo, where various Mazinger and Grendizer enemies are running around smashing things up. Why Tokyo? Because there's a national monument there, shut up. I can't be expected to explain all this to you, try to keep up.

mazi0039.png

The first stage really is quite uneventful (as is many parts of future stages), so you just kind of float serenely down the street bashing everything until you find... this thing. It appears that we've encountered an impass--

mazi0040.png

Oh my.

Yes. Garada K7 physically CUTS THROUGH THE TOWERS for you, and is in fact the first mini-boss of the game. I also can't help but point out that aside from this incident and another couple minor points of larger enemies bursting out of buildings, this is the only actual, graphic destruction your enemies wreak on the town. There are cars screaming down the road and citizens actually RUNNING IN FRIGHT down below, but 90% of Tokyo's devastation is evidently caused by you. Go figure.

mazi0041.png

Garada K7 jumps (seriously, leaps offscreen) onto a convenient overpass to use as a battle platform and starts flinging those horns at you like boomerangs. Moments later, Doublas M2 shuffles into the fray for backup lasering.

mazi0042.png

Neither of them are really that prepared for a well-placed Thunder Break.

mazi0044.png

After another round of Tokyo stomping, we're faced with... this thing. I don't know precisely what it is but it's got a few surprising attacks, such as semi-homing fireballs and the ability to WHIP TRAINS AT YOU.

mazi0045.png

Regardless, after fisticuffsing it in the face for about thirty seconds it explodes and we can go to the next stage. Tokyo is saved?!

mazi0046.png

The inter-mission screen, that tallies up bonuses for you in generally obvious Engrish. "GET OF BONUS" refers to how many Borot Coins you picked up in the stage.

ARE YOU READY FOR NEXT LEVEL?! YEAH!

mazi0047.png

Stage 2 starts off pretty inconspicuously, in what seems to be a giant cloud bank. Ore Wa Great Mazinger is playing in this stage, so rock out for Great to your heart's content.

mazi0048.png

Eventually the clouds part to show you that you're going to a city! At night! Gasp!

mazi0051.png

Evidently it's New York! Gasp!

This is probably one of the funniest moments in the game, because even though they're attacking you with a giant floating Statue of Liberty, the real one is right there. It kind of ruins the effect.

mazi0052.png

Shooting it will eventually crumble the outer layer and reveal that it's actually a giant robot with laser cannons for arms (not pictured, as they're destroyed easily). This thing is a joke, really. The main body can be destroyed with two well-placed Great Boomerangs.

mazi0053.png

And the chapter ends with America saved! Hooray! Also, explosions! Hooray!

Next post: The challenge actually begins!

SECTION 4: HIGH SEE ADVENTUARR ~ Stage 3

mazi0054.png

Stage 3 starts out with Gool ominously already there. It showed up once or twice in the previous stage as well, but it was largely ignorable.

mazi0055.png

This time, however, it wants to fight you directly, and is generally a pain in the ass. However, it's not really going to fight you right now. Instead, you get:

mazi0056.png

This guy. I like to call it Fake Mazinkaiser.

mazi0057.png

Fake Mazinkaiser is a dick. Its main form of attack is to sweep the screen from side to side and fire laser bursts at you. As dumb as it sounds it is actually extremely easy to dodge into them. Like I've done. Several times.

mazi0058.png

It'll also summon up these things, which I assume are Southern Cross Knives on crack. They have a limited ability to curve towards you, so keep--

mazi0060.png

SON OF A BITCH!

Fake Mazinkaiser is a dick.

mazi0061.png

It does go down, though, but instead of exploding into a thousand tiny parts, it flies offscreen. What a pussy.

mazi0062.png

Gool will be the challenge of the day, after that. In keeping with proper "I'm a battleship!" tradition, it's actually pretty tough, and might even be harder than the actual boss.

mazi0063.png

Its attack pattern consists of shooting at you with its mouth cannons at three angles, shooting lasers at you from its (thankfully destuctible) eyes, then rushing forward and trying to plaster you with missiles that will turn 90 degrees once they're in line with you.

mazi0064.png

The missile barrage generally causes you to dodge the mouth like this, which makes you a prime target for the eye beams. Gool is a dick.

mazi0065.png

I hate you, Gool. Be gone from this world.

mazi0066.png

Gool complies with my wishes, but not before introducing us to one of the most irritating enemies in this game: turrets. These things will open up when you get close and fire a small spray of bullets in your general direction, and can only be destroyed by punching them. Unfortunately they tend to show up at least in pairs, and so it's extremely hard to punch one without getting your ass kicked by the other one.

mazi0067.png

Check it out, it's Fake Mazinkaiser again! And it's brought a... what the hell is that?

mazi0068.png

No, seriously, what are you doing.

mazi0069.png

Ladies and gentlemen, the Fake Mazinkaiser Battle Tank. Boss of Stage 3. It's almost ridiculously easy, as its attacks are generally very avoidable even when you're right in front of them. You just have to be careful of its funnels.

mazi0070.png

Yes. Funnels.

mazi0073.png

Large-scale explosions mean we're done here, and Fake Mazinkaiser can rest at the bottom of the sea with the hellspawn battleship it came from.

Edited by Fleed Arsus

SECTION 5: WELCOME TO TERRAIN LAND ~ Stages 4 and 5

mazi0075.png

Stage 4 is largely negligible, really. It doesn't even have music I recognize.

mazi0076.png

What I will tell you is that these things kind of come out of nowhere and like to jam back into place when you least expect it. Since I'm using Great, I have very little way of moving these out of the way all at once. You may note that I could get the Trider Bird AttackGreat Booster for use against these, but I am apparently a masochist.

mazi0077.png

This thing, when you first fight it, is goddamned irritating. Not because it's all that hard, no, but because when you get close enough it'll do an extendo-punch attack that 90% of the time will catch you completely off guard if you're not staring at it the entire battle. Also pictured is the boss's previous, just-destroyed form, which was basically a giant bunker.

mazi0078.png

yaaaay

mazi0079.png

Stage 5 takes you from ice floes to... the desert. What.

mazi0081.png

You'll probably have noticed that I've been using Mazinger Z by this time. This is why. It only gets worse from here.

mazi0082.png

After a trip through the desert we come to some fortress-base installation that tries to kill you, but has a bitchload of destroyable things that can be very useful to people who care about the high score. There need to be more people like that.

mazi0083.png

After smashing up Destructo-Building what good, we're... back at the ocean. What. Also, I died and switched back to Great Mazinger. This is because I am a masochist.

mazi0084.png

These guys behind the Borot Coin in this picture are competely awesome and also jackasses. Every so often a completely harmless ship will pass by. These magnificent bastards swim under them, pop out of the water and throw them at you. It would rule a lot harder if it didn't hurt so much.

mazi0086.png

WARNING A HUGE BATTLESHIP SALUDE IS APPROACHING FAST

mazi0087.png

WARNING A HUGE BATTLESHIP SALUDECOMPLETELY INCONSPICUOUS ISLAND IS APPROACHING FAST

mazi0088.png

Salude is a dick.

mazi0089.png

Hooray! Explosions! We're--

mazi0090.png

goddammit

mazi0091.png

I really hate Salude. It takes a while to kill if you're not going completely berserker-nuts on it, but going completely berserker-nuts on it leaves you open.

mazi0092.png

Being open is really really bad. Fortunately you can punch these missiles away, but there's so damn many of them it's hard to do so.

mazi0096.png

Salude was a dick.

Edited by Fleed Arsus

SECTION 6: MOVIE TIME! ~ Stages 6 and 7

mazi0097.png

Stage 6 is both my favorite stage and completely infuriating, all at the same time. Not pictured is about halfway through this portion of the stage, where underwater fans will kick into gear and suck you into them, screwing up your lateral movement. Underwater fans piss me off.

mazi0099.png

Yes, that is indeed Dragonsaurus, and yes you do indeed fight it. Unfortunately, Boss is dicking around all the way at the start of the stage, so you don't get to see it eat him. For that matter, the Getter Team doesn't show up to help you kill it.

OR DO THEY?

mazi0101.png

...No. No, I guess they don't.

At this time I mention the game is two-player coop, so at the very least you can recreate most of the Final Dynamic Special. It's the thought that counts.

mazi0102.png

After making Dragonsaurus blow up, most of the water in the stage inexplicably drains. I don't know why, but it's kind of neat regardless.

mazi0103.png

It's item rush time! Most of the time spent above water here is dedicated to the Mazinger girls giving you free stuff, including two Life Up items. Put them to good use...

mazi0104.png

...Because Mikeros completely sucks. If you thought Salude was bad, this guy can completely redefine the term for you. It's only truly vulnerable on the middle, forward face, and has a couple different Danmaku Mode attacks which will kill you at some point or another if you're not prepared for them.

mazi0105.png

Fortunately with some dedicated battering you can disable most if not all of them within a few moments. Pre-destroyed, those hatches open up to release very fast plane-looking things that will shoot at you.

mazi0106.png

Its side mouths, unfortunately, are much harder to kill. Every so often they will open and start pouring out Salude missile spam. We don't like Salude missile spam. We hate Salude missile spam.

mazi0109.png

Its final noteworthy "OH GOD WHAT" attack is the ability for Mikeros's little top saucer to come off, spin somewhat non-threateningly in place for a while, then do this laser circle thing that's pretty hard to dodge if you don't have a few speed up items. It's also invincible.

mazi0111.png

Be aware that since you only have one place to actually hit this thing (a place almost constantly covered by enemy fire), you will not see this happen for a while. Mikeros flat-out refuses to die, and my rage for it burns like a thousand suns.

mazi0112.png

Stage 7 is so completely not noteworthy that the only screenshots I have for it are of the boss, which is almost annoyingly easy by this point in the game once you figure out its attack pattern. This doesn't stop me from dying in the name of screenshots, however.

mazi0117.png

Seriously, what the hell is this supposed to accomplish?

mazi0119.png

Eventually it dies and we can get on with our lives.

(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SPAZER HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA)

Edited by Fleed Arsus

SECTION 7: TIME LOOP SAYS WHAT ~ Stages 8 and... 9?

mazi0120.png

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SPAZER HAHAHAHAHAHA

This is actually the first time I played this stage, and was rather amused by the fact that when I started actually using Grendizer, this stage comes up, and plays what I think is the only Grendizer song in the game (Tobe! Grendizer), and is even largely Vega-ey.

Also yes, they are actually firing, before you even get a chance to sortie proper. Stage 8 in its entirety is a dick.

mazi0121.png

SPECIAL GUEST: THE HANDSNAKE FROM RAIDEEN

mazi0122.png

I have no idea what the hell this actually is (never seen Grendizer), but it has a large glowing orb, so obviously it must be shot to death.

mazi0123.png

Obviously.

mazi0124.png

yaaaaay

mazi0125.png

...WHY IS NOTHING HAPPENING?

mazi0126.png

Oh, that's why. Do I recognize that spinning? I think I recognize that spinning.

mazi0127.png

...No, I don't recognize that spinning. How the hell did that fit in there?!

mazi0128.png

As far as I can tell, this guy is effectively the final boss of the game, but is really not that hard. Its little spinning cocoon shields can be destroyed to disable an attack or two, but it's still got a few irritating tricks, most of which it won't use more than once or twice before you kill it.

mazi0129.png

yaaaaaaay...?

mazi0130.png

What what where are you going? Get back here and explode!

mazi0131.png

Uhhhh.

mazi0132.png

Oh. That's better then.

mazi0133.png

Wait what the hell WHY ARE WE BACK HERE.

This stage is labeled as the ninth, and I would assume it just loops over and over, increasing difficulty as it goes. However, I'm really not in a state to keep playing this to see if it deviates at some point, so it's possible that Banpresto could pull a Dodonpachi and throw a secret boss or two at us for running through the game enough or one-crediting it. I'll figure it out later.

Until then, FAQ COMPLETE !!