Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yuu Inohara

Lets Play SRW 1

21 posts in this topic

Yes, it's the original Super Robot Wars as seen on gameboy, now I'm sure everyone here knows what SRW is, so we won't get into that. Anyway, for those of you who haven't played SRW 1, this plays much different than it's predecessors, first off, the robots are sentient, and thus have no pilots, second, the spirit commands are much more luck based, as only your leader can use them, and each time you go to the spirit comman menu you lose one SP and it displays a list of three randomly selected commands, which makes things somewhat mroe difficult as the only way to heal your units besides using bases (more on that later) is spirit commands, third, the battles play somewhat like fire emblem, in as much as when a unit dies, it's gone for good, unless you get lucky and pull and command that revives the last killed ally, and if your leader dies, it's over, however, you can try to persuade enemies to your cause (which is nigh impossible at first), next we have the afformentioned bases, which are towers used by the big bad to control the robots of the game's world, thus capturing them is top priority, there are two kinds of bases, normal towers, where you can recover damage, and a citadel, which you must capture to end the map, and will always have a boss enemy on it as well as the boss' henchmen around it (these will usually be either unique or highly advanced units and difficult to kill) it should be noted that the boss unit can never be recruited, however most of the henchmen can. And finaly, items, which can almost always be found in towers and suspicious looking locations on the map, these range from stat boosting items, to weapons and weapon upgrades, we'll go more in depth as we play though. Now, FLY SUPER ROBOTS! And special thanks to the Aeon Genesis team for translating this sucker. BOW DOWN TO THEIR ALMIGHTY AWESOMENESS!

TitlescreenA.jpg

Heres the title screen, well, the press start one anyway, yes, the game is in black and white, deal with it.

Next we have abit of story to get us into what exactly is going on here.

SRWStory1.jpg

Well, I think we've found our arguement for birth control, ladies and gentlemen, please remember to have your vile space creatures spayed and/or neutered.

SRWStory2.jpg

Also please remember to clean up after your vile space creatures while taking them for walks to ensure a clean and healthy neighborhood...

SRWStory3.jpg

Aww crap, not again... What? Is earth space monster catnip or something?

Mission1Start.jpg

Ohhhh, okay, nevermind people, you can come out of the bomb shelters, it's not us this time, sucks for them though.

Mission1Start2.jpg

Oh, here come the hereoes now, Yaaaay.

Time to chose a team-

ChoiceGundam.jpg

Gundam Team-

Alot of starting units, all of which, besides Guncannon, hold alot of staying power, and all either start with a ranged attack or can get one really quickly, they also level up fast, with Gundam hiting level 2 after one kill, they also have the highest charisma ratings (which help in converting enemies), F-91 holding the top with a whoping 92/99, the units are also, for the most part, very loyal, and thus hard to convert. The charisma bonus, however, is a useful useless tool, as you have alot of units, you won't be able to gather up as many new units early on without leaving someone behind on the benches (as you can only have a certain number of units on the field at once), but it's useful as they tend to have lower overall stats compared to the other two teams, with the exception of speed which they excell at, and thus later in the game it may become necessary to collect new allies to replace your fallen.

ChoiceMazinger.jpg

Mazinger Team-

Overall, not that exciting, slightly less charismatic than the gundams, but just as loyal, Aphrodite, Diana, and Venus tend to fall behind as the game progresses, overall they level rather slowly, but have a ton of weapon upgrades and attachments to play with.

ChoiceGetter.jpg

My personal favorite of the group, even though they only have four units, and not alot of weapons and upgrades to work with, and Texas Mack and Getter Q kinda get outdated quickly, Getter Robo and Getter G are where this team Getter Shines... yes bad pun... anyway, focusing on these two, you have the versatility of all three getters (Getter 1 through 3, and Getter Dragon, Liger, and Poseidon) and though they level up slowly, they grow quickly as far as raw power... Hang on, I think I'm drooling... Alright...

anyway, I'll let you all give your two cents, and the team that gets the most votes goes on into this play-through.

Edited by Yuu Inohara

I'd bow down to Aeon Genesis if they actually finished translating the games I gave a shit about instead of being a Furu with most of the projects they did.

on second thought, pick Mazinger.

Edited by Yosuke Kobe

YOU'LL BE THE MAZINGER TEAM AND YOU'LL LIKE IT GODDAMMIT!! emot-argh.gif

Gundam, because you can get the other ones in your team later on, whereas the F91 and ZZ do not appear in the enemy lineup ((therefore you can't convince them to be your team)

Edited by Maximillian Raiden

What kinds of units can you get? Take Gundam.

Well, you can get most of the units in the team starting list, as well as many of the 'villain' units (Zeon/Neo-Zeon/Titans/Crossbone Vanguard/Machine Beasts/Ect.), but from what I've seen it seems to be focused soley on the UC gundams, Mazinger, and Getter Robo.

Anyway I'll be making the decision around midnight my time.

I'm really, really tempted to say Getter or Mazinger, but if I got it right, you can get them even in Gundam team.

So, Gundam. For the sake of having too many units.

Alrighty, the votes are in, and the choice is Gundam Team, but before we can charge into the fray, we need a leader!

Gundam.jpg

Alrighty, most of the stats are self explanatory, but it should be noted that Range is move range.

Guncannon.jpg

Yeah, you suck...

ZetaGundam.jpg

Hyakushiki.jpg

ZZGundam.jpg

NuGundam.jpg

F91.jpg

Anyway, lets go, we've already got one vote for F91. Voting will end... Blah, when I feel like it.

Guncannon, because I am tired of V-Fins.

F-91, since the leader unit has to be deployed EVERY SINGLE STAGE, and you don't want a weak unit that can be one hitted to be the leader.

(not to mention that the F-91 is one of the two exclusive units on the Gundam team, ZZ is good, but it's Hi-Mega Cannon is range 1~3, which is pretty bad as far as ranged attacks go.)

Also, random bits of trivia:

1) ALL weapons in this game has what the later SRWs refers to as P, all attacks can be used post movement, though if IIRC, all ranged weapons become 1 range after movement.

2) There are some enemy units that only appear when you use already own the unit yourself (The first instance is on the first stage, where if you pick the Gundam/Getter Team, you get the Aphrodite A and the Diana A as the guardians to the boss, whereas if you pick the Mazinger Team, you get two Zssas instead. (the most interesting of this is the appearance of the ZEONG, and also Hyaku Shiki/Getter Robo and Getter Dragon/MINERVA X)*.

3) You ONLY get experience if you destroy a unit, nowhere else, so choose carefully over which to kill things with

4) Equippable weapons! (Hyaku Shiki & Guncannon both can get the MEGA BAZOOKA LAUNCHER)

5) Equippable upgrades! (Mazinger Z: Koushiryoku Beam, Rocket Punch, Missile -> BREAST FIRE, Iron Cutter, Southern Cross Knife)

6) You have a maximum amount of units that you can have on your roster, so choose carefully on what you want your roster to have. (ie. Getter Dragon is REALLY helpful)

7) Keep in mind that you can convince nearly all non-boss enemies, and some are INVALUABLE to you, like Sazabi (the only unit that you can get with a 1~5 range weapon)

I'll post more if they come to me

Since you're on the Gundam Team, KEEP your Hyaku Shiki alive until stage 4 (or 5) if you want the chance of having Getter Robo on your team, because if it dies, then the Hyaku Shiki will appear instead (it's an indoor stage with the Doven Wolf as the boss IIRC), and if you value Mazinger Z, keep Zeta alive until stage 3

Edited by Maximillian Raiden

Seabrook doesn't get enough love around here because his Newtype Magic doesn't involve shit flying around like every Gundam series lately has a hardon for. So F-91.

EDIT: lol Gudnam

Edited by Blaine Kodos

4) Equippable weapons! (Hyaku Shiki & Guncannon both can get the MEGA BAZOOKA LAUNCHER)

also Gundam can get Mega Bazooka too

7) Keep in mind that you can convince nearly all non-boss enemies, and some are INVALUABLE to you, like Sazabi (the only unit that you can get with a 1~5 range weapon)

Mass Produced Sazabi FTW (to those who haven't played, one of the maps actually has multiple Sazabi as guardians)

Anyway, I can already see where this is going, so, I'll get the first mission up shortly. Also, note when you start off your leader unit gets 5 points you can put into HP/Attack/SPD/Charisma... I'm going to handle those myself on this run *nod*

Edit: ... Yeah... getting into the first mission, I've realized my mistake in starting this venture... Theres really nothing to comment on or point out past the obvious... Yes... I'm an idiot... Sorry for wasting everyones time...

Edited by Yuu Inohara